Mechanism of Action Animation Case Study: Scleropathy Animation for Varithena®
PROJECT MISSION: Edit an animation script for an FDA application. Create a visually comprehensive and descriptive animation to explain the MOA of the Varithena® PEM foam.
SOLUTION: We worked hard to amend an existing script for the mechanism of action animation to reduce the overall run time of the animation, and then went through a challenging regulatory process to make sure the script and references were approved and ready for production.
Concurrently, we built a really beautiful, dynamic system to show the injection of the Varithena® PEM CO2 micro-bubbles in a vascular context. We included an extreme close-up to show the effective delivery of the polidocanol active drug to the epithelium, resulting in epithelial destruction.
One of the most challenging aspects of this project was to build a dynamic particle system that could show the injection of the PEM bubbles into the greater saphenous vein. Initial efforts failed after injection reached the first third of the vessel volume. The reason for this was the sheer number of particles needed to fill a volume. We solved this by displacing the core of the particle system with a passive collider that kept the overall numbers lower.
The next challenge was to get the bubbles to look like semitranslucent foam. The rendering process was long when applying geometry and a transparency MIS shader using Maya software. The solution was unexpectedly effective. We used a couple of different images and replaced the geometry particle output with sprite-based image planes! This worked out incredibly well and reduced render times by a gigantic margin. We were able to improve the overall contrast sensitivity of the micro-bubbles to make them look more realistic as well.
This project had a very fulfilling series of complex challenges that increased our skills and expanded our capability tool sets. The result was a visually compelling animation. Our production and creative teams are very proud of this project. This mechanism of action animation continues to be visually relevant. It expanded our large database of anatomic models and shaders. This animation is one of our best productions.
Thanks to Angela Mancini at DiD and thanks to Sam Gannaway for coming up with a brilliant, old-school, dynamic solution.
COMPLETED: November, 2013
BUDGET: ≈ $20,000-$35,000